The other day we had a few girls from the neighborhood over.
I was sitting having a cup of coffee and talking to my best friend that
happened to be the mother of one of the girls. I hear another little girl ask
my best friends child, “What is wrong
with Gabby?”
This is a moment that usually causes me to cringe, because
even though the girls are just playing in my living room with toys and watching
a Disney movie on TV, she has already figured out that my daughter is
different. In spite of not having any meltdowns or tantrums, this new child has
caught on to my daughter’s disability.
I hold my breath and wait to hear her response, she smiles
to the other little girl and says, “Well
Gabby has Autism and that’s what makes her special. She lives in a world that
is different than ours…kind of like her brain does not work the same way.”
The other little girl says, “Is that why she is weird?”
My best friends daughter laughs and says, “She is not weird, she just likes to play ‘make
believe’ a lot and she really likes horses. You just have to play the things
she wants to play, and if she gets rough you have to tell her mom. She doesn’t
like scary movies and she cries a lot some days, but her mom is the only mom in
the neighborhood that will let everyone come inside and she always serves
snacks and drinks. Just give her some time and you will see the real her.”
Their conversation only last a minute, but what I learned in
that minute is other children can accept my child, but they will not be fooled.
They know pretty soon after meeting Gabby that she is unique. I have never been
secretive about Gabby’s disabilities. I often speak about the challenges and triumphs
of our little girl to others.
The truth is my child stands out from the bunch, she
probably always will, but listening to this little girl’s definition of Autism,
and then having them play with Gabby lets me know they will continue to spread
awareness. When they run into another boy or girl in school they will
understand a little better what Autism is. It’s not something to be scared of.
Autistic does not mean they can’t be friends. It just mean they are unique
individuals that want to play just like every other child. They just need a little
patience and understanding and in time they will show you how amazing they
really are.
This little girl took the facts a friend shared with her and
played for the rest of the afternoon with my little girl. She ended up having a
great time playing horses with my child and a few friends. Not all days go like
this, some days my child is so upset with the other little girls, we have to
close our door and send everyone home. But today we made a new friend and the
girls got to play inside on a cold day, watching movies and playing with toy
horses. My child got to experience normal play with a group of girls, and that
is always my goal. Despite Gabby being
different, I am firmly committed to her being part of our community. I drag her
to Sunday school and even though she does not make it in the class very long.
Other children are exposed to her for a short while and that’s important for
her and them. 1 and 68 children are affected with Autism today, my child may be
the first Autistic child these kindergarteners get to know, but she wont be the
last.
When dark clouds appear above my head and life with a
special needs child gets me down, I force myself to push away the darkness and
live in the light. I remember we need to go, not for Gabby or I, but for all
the other little children struggling with Autism. I hear much too often
Autistic mothers saying, “Its not worth
the hassle to take her to the fair.” I would agree with them on that
statement; it would be easier to keep the doors closed and let Gabby play by
herself. That is where she is most comfortable and no outside influences will push
her outside of her comfort zone, but if any child needs to be pushed, its an
Autistic child. I cannot keep her in a perfect bubble or world for long. As
much as I would like to keep my child safe and have no one question her or make
fun of her, that is not reality. So I
push her to events in our community, church and school not because my child
enjoys those events so much, but we are going for the Autistic children coming
after us. Just like the parents before
us that pushed their children into our communities, so that she might have an
easier chance in the future.
We have to keep going, pushing and being seen. We have to
keep having conversations with strangers and our children’s friends about Autism.
Putting her out in the world, making her uncomfortable is the only way I can
see to make social interaction easier for her and others around her. Practice makes perfect! So practice we shall.

No comments:
Post a Comment