Friday, November 22, 2013

Being better than yesterday

Lately I have been trying to be a better person and be a better advocate for Gabby. Its easy to yell or scream when you feel like your child has faced an injustice, but its harder to find a way to correct the situation in a way that leaves people wanting to do better. I want people to do better and be better for my child. Thats the world ideally I want to live in, so in order to do my part I need to find a way to get our message across and leave people wanting to make those changes.

That all might seem a bit confusing but this is all about my last post of Gabby being put in the corner. Ideally I should be the one to correct the situation right when it happens. It usually takes me a minute to figure out what I want to say and get my feelings in order. So today I contacted Gabby's school to speak with the director of her program. I want to find out why we were put in the corner. Was this all about having an Autistic child or was this just a fluke.

More importantly I want to know if my child is fitting in. I know we are different and we are never going to be the most popular, but what I want to know is if she is eating alone, playing alone that kind of thing. I hope that is not the case, because I wanted her in a Christian Children's Environment. I figured this would be the place she could be introduced most importantly to Jesus, but also children that would age with her and maybe she would feel a sense of community. I wanted her to feel comfortable and familiar with a church school, because I fostered so many wonderful memories of my church schools. Those friends stayed with me all through school even into high school. While I know Gabby's situation is different, I just wanted her to get a shot of a bit of normal with some good values and good teachings.

I guess we will see how it goes when the director gets back to me. I pray this was a fluke. This situation ruined my day yesterday and when I told the story to my husband who is away on business I could see how it hurt him as well.

My quite time this morning spoke to being a christian that walks the walk and not just talks the talk. It talked about doing good deeds and not just speaking about them. It resinated with me to try and find a way to advocate for Gabby in an educational way that will leave the offender better informed and armed with the knowledge to make better choices in the future.

Happy Snow Day Everyone :)

No comments:

Post a Comment